Saturday, March 5, 2011

inspiration.

 i have officially come down with the same awful cold that both of my kids got last week.  the constant runny nose has kept me away from the workbench for the past couple of days and i've made zero progress.  however, i really wanted to give you all a bit of insight into what "knit." is all about. 

ever since i can remember, i have had a huge passion for fashion design.  as a young girl, i dreamed of becoming an illustrator  for a big fashion house and was always sketching up new ideas, buying all the major fashion magazines, and sitting glued to the television during the fall and spring fashion weeks.  well, life took its course and it didn't take me on the path i had planned on taking.  i ended up as an apprentice under two amazing fine jewelry model makers and goldsmiths.  before that, i had absolutely no knowledge or interest in anything having to do with jewelry but mostly because i associated it all to your typical mass produced, hearts, diamonds, name plates, etc.  that stuff just did nothing for me.  

during my apprenticeship, i realized that jewelry could be SO much more than what i had ever dreamed, and i will get into more of that later, but here's where you begin to understand more of what "knit" will be all about.

i designed my first piece, the "knit" bangle, to be representative of the edge of the sleeve on this particular sweater, and thus the brand name, "knit." came about.

notes:

*the ring pictured was made by myself 5 years ago, and is one-of-a-kind.

*the wedding band was also made by myself.

*the engagement ring with mandarin garnet and diamonds is a one-of-a-kind handmade piece by Matthew Hopkins of the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co. in Mystic, CT.  he was my primary master and does phenomenal custom work.  if you're interested in learning more about him, please feel free to contact me at knit.by.a.pawluk(at)gmail.com.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Aimee, sorry you aren't feeling well, hopefully it passes soon!
    My mom knits all the time- when I was little she made all my sweaters, hats, mittens, etc. It's such a beautiful talent... One that I definitely do NOT possess! I love those rings too- one of a kind jewelry is so special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your engagement ring!! I remember looking at it a lot when we were in NC :)
    I hope you are feeling better.
    I'm so excited to see all of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ick. I have that same cold right now, and it's no good. On a bright note though, your jewelry is amazing. If these pieces are any indication of what the rest of your line is going to be like, it's going to be simply astounding. I can't wait to see what you have in store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everybody for your kind and encouraging words! I'm feeling much better now, and my first piece is complete!

    ReplyDelete